As much as I love drooling over their expertly organized storage, I also wonder....is that what their room always looks like? I could be wrong, but I imagine 90% of the crafters out there create in total chaos (or is that just what I want to believe, since it often applies to me?)
So I decided to take spur-of-the moment photos of my craft room. No tidying up. No re-organizing. No throwing out the stray paper that landed on the floor a week ago, and for some reason is still there.
Here's the REAL look at my craft room. I wish I could say that this was some kind of "before" picture, leading you to an amazing "after" photo. But nope, what you see is what you get. A lot of people have left comments or sent emails about my space, so I've labeled some things for ya:
(honestly, this isn't that bad. It's usually worse. WAY worse)
- A box that is bursting from the seams with prizes. I need to host a giveaway stat!
- Packing materials, blank canvases, and paper storage. The only way I like organizing is by color. The paper in these drawers (and my thread, ribbon, markers, colored pencils, embroidery floss, etc) are in rainbow-order.
- Sewing stuff. I've got the thread, embroidery hoops, my sewing machine (with the cover on), and my exploding bin of fabric is in rolling bins under the black table.
- This is the miscellaneous storage. I have my watercolor supplies (paints, pens, paper, brushes, etc), acrylic painting stuff, polymer clay, markers, crafting magazines/books, sewing notions, yarn, crochet hooks and knitting needles, and other random things.
- My photo studio. I leave the light tent set up all the time under the table. Clamped underneath the table on either side of the tent are 2 lights from the hardware store, with daylight bulbs. When I take pictures of projects, I lay on the floor and take them here.
- Paper crafting stuff. Stamps, inks, embossing folders, dies, embellishments, etc.
- Electronic Die Cutter. I bought the Pazzles Inspiration back when it was the most inexpensive non-cartridge die cutter. I would love to upgrade to the Silhouette one day, but I'm cheap and this thing still works.
The other side of the room
- Since technically this is the "office" in our apartment, it's only fitting to have some actual office items in here. Computer, printer, scanner, and more. ("more" includes a bin of sheet music and the guitar amp that is laying down on top of it)
- Comics. Because we're cool like that (ps. cool=dorky). You can also find my viola, violin, flute, and electric guitar next to it.
- Jessica just gave me this to display the handmade cards I've received. I didn't realize until now that I put all the cards on the same side. Hope it doesn't fall over!
- Sewing rotary cutting mat and ruler. This is right next to my door-of-purses. You can kind of see 2 of the bags sneaking in from out of the frame.
- Top shelf has copies of some of the magazines I've been published in, and 3D paper crafts that I don't know what to do with. Do you have stuff like that too?
- I'm embarrassed to admit that this iron has been out for over a week. I was working on a sewing project.
...which brings me to photos of my sewing project! My sister-in-law gave birth a few weeks ago to my first niece, Emily! Dave and I visited her and my brother last weekend, and it was so much fun!
I made her these cute little shoes and a stuffed elephant:
I'm a proud aunt :)
after I told Dave "you need to look happier in the pictures!" he made this face, lol