header

Pages

7.25.2011

Gallery Idol- Round 3!

Wow, things are really starting to heat up! I cannot believe that I have made it this far in the Gallery Idol competition. I can only hope that this card helps me make it to top 5! I haven't seen the other entries yet, but I can bet they are amazing.

The theme for this round is fabric. Luckily, I have a pretty extensive fabric scrap collection. I chose a fun green print to become the leaves of my fern. Here's the card:

Now, it might be tough to see in that above photo, but each leaf is puffy!

I love to play with dimension in my cards, so I wanted this one to be soft and puffy. Here's what I did:

1. Start with 3 layers- Die cut cardstock for the card's front panel, fabric scrap, and a scrap piece of cardstock slightly smaller than the front panel.
2. This next picture shows the bottom 3 leaves puffed up already. I took some "cluster fiber" (it's stuffing for toys and pillows)....
...then placed it in between the fabric layer and the scrap cardstock layer, making sure to shove it in where the die-cut sections were so it filled that area.
3. Once that was done, I pressed the two cardstock pieces together, trapping the stuffing inside. Do you see the puff it makes?
4. (sorry- no picture for this step) I carefully sewed around each puffy leaf with my sewing machine (I used white thread), making sure to stay pretty close to the die cut. I didn't want any of my stuffing to escape!

That was it! Pretty easy, once I figured out the best way to do it. I just LOVE this technique now- I've never seen it done before (although I'm sure it has been), but now I want to try with other die-cut shapes!

Here's a close-up of the finished card:

Thanks so much for checking out my round 3 entry! Please go here to vote :)


27 comments:

  1. So CREATIVE!!!! I just love this - might even have to pull out my old sewing machine and give this one a try! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. another winner!!! this is awesome, good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous fern Jennifer. Love your creativity and clean design! Good luck in this round!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic card< love the dimension in the leaves and the stitched stem...it's not easy choosing between all these wonderful designs :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous Jennifer! The negative is so intricate and the fabric is lovely! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, love the puffy effect!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you're getting a bazillion new followers because you deserve it. I have loved every card you've put up in this competition and this is no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo! Love this card even more that I get to see the dimension. Love your clean and crisp design and the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so fun! I love the colours, the stitching and that fabulous puffiness. :) You've blown me away again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. really awesome, jennifer! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic, Jennifer! I love the texture of that stitched stem and the quilted look of the leaves. You have been rocking the Gallery Idol challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely brilliant! :) Beautiful card.

    Arlene.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! love your puffy fern card.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful card - the fluff is a very cool touch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome!!!!! Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations for getting so far in the competition - I bet you're beside yourself with excitement, I know I would be! You absolutely deserve it though, you're creations are so innovative and not to mention beautiful!
    I am loving the fluff - I might have to find a reason to use it! Don't worry, you shall get ALL the credit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous card, so excited for you to be in the top 10.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful card. I love the clean feel this has and the dimension from the puffy leaves is awesome. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jen this card is amazing! I love the quilted look! Just beautiful! So happy to be in the Top 10 with you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with Cristina, I have love every single one of your entries and you are one amazing designer! This card is so pretty. I love the colors you've chosen and how you've used your fabric. You have been one tough cookie to compete against. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a lovely card!
    thank you so much for the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what an awesome card. I have never seen this before, I bet it mails easily too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are BRILLIANT!!! Thanks so much for sharing your steps!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!

If you ask a question, please make sure that you leave your email address, or that I can view it in your profile so I can respond :)

(note: I have disabled anonymous commenting due to the 20+ spam comments I have been receiving each day. Please email me at ourchangeofart@gmail.com if this is a problem for you- I wasn't sure how many people would be unable to comment if I did this)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...