header

Pages

7.11.2011

Gallery Idol

It's here- the day I have been waiting for all weekend! Today is the official start of Round 1 for Paper Craft's Gallery Idol.

The theme, which was announced Friday, is do-it-yourself embellishments. I took a lot of time to brainstorm different ideas....handmade flowers, pinwheels, buttons, etc. Then I remembered my stash of jewelry-making supplies.

For my embellishment, I took some 24 gauge silver-plated jewelry wire, a pair of round-nose pliers, and formed a bicycle shape. You can see a picture of it as a work-in-progress below:

Here's the finished bike:

To attach it to my card, I made 3 small holes with a sewing needle into the top layer of cardstock where I wanted the bike to go. I used invisible thread to come up the hole, loop it around a section of wire, and then I returned back through the original hole. Even when I look really hard, I can't see the thread on the bike. I only needed to attach it in 3 places to get it on there sturdy enough so it won't come off.

To make the shadow, I took a photo of the bike completed (see above), and skewed the image in Photoshop. I imported it into my electronic die-cutting software, then cut it from grey cardstock.


Don't forget to vote!! Click HERE to register, check out the entries, and vote for your fave (I hope mine is your favorite, but they are all awesome!)

If you want a direct link to my card, click here, or on the picture of it in my sidebar to the right :)

26 comments:

  1. GENIUS! What an amazing DIY Embellishment on an equally amazing card!
    Good Luck!
    Hugs!
    Aimes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I voted! You are amazing with that wire :) You should make a video. I can't imagine that I could make anything more intricate than a heart, maybe a cloud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous design Jennifer and the bike and its shadow are amazing! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bike is over the top amazing! To free hand that takes some serious talent! You are good!! I love your card and that shadow is very cool too! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are amzing girl! that bike is awesome. The whole card is awesome. I was thinking the other day how i want to get some wire to create things like this, well is was thinking more like flower but didn't know what gauge, Thanks for sharing that bit of info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bike is amazing, you're so talented!! good luck in this round!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!!! That bike is amazing and the shadow is equally so!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shut the front door - I LOVE how you created that shadow and your homemade wire bike puts my embellies to shame! Great job girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh goodness, I love this card! Why? Well, 1. it's yellow - love and 2. you made a bike from wire, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG this is amazing too... you ladies are sure making this voting business hard:)
    Love the bicycle embellie and the shadow is way clever :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my word, my jaw was on the floor when I first saw your bike! Seriously? You are so incredibly clever and talented! Love the sun rays and shadow that make this into a cute little scene.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is a stunner of a card. Even if you hadn't made your own bike just the bold graphic style of it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is sooo awesome Jennifer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely amazing!!! You totally hit the nail on the head and the shadow on your card is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jennifer, you've got my vote! I said, "Wow," when I saw that amazing bike -- fantastic job!!!!!!!!!!
    ~ Laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in love with this card! I love it when a card is a bit of a brainteaser to figure out how it's made..and that shadow had my brain working overtime! The rays of sunshine are absolutely perfect as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, Jennifer. This is just awesome. The shadow really makes it. I'm thinking you should talk to Ink About It about teaching a wire embellishment class -- I'd take it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally fabulous!! I would never have ever thought to make a 'bike', you are one clever crafter, Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! Freaking WOW! Your talent is so off the hook!

    ReplyDelete
  20. AWESOME!!!! Very cute and the bike and shadow are soooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you know how I feel about this card, but it's worth shouting from the hilltops: LOOOOOOVE! I have a feeling you're going to cruise into the next round with ease.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Everytime I see this card I marvel at it's beautiful design and brilliant construction. Now that I see how you actually made it, I'm even more impressed. It is one of my all time faves, ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is the most amazing embellishment, i've ever seen, jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE this card! That bike is AMAZING! Annnnd you're kicking ass! On to round 2! Woo hoo! I can't wait to see your next card :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. U make it look so easy! What die-cutter/software have you got? I sometimes struggle with importing images although I've found the Silhouette software to be loads more accomodating than the old Robo Master program.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!

If you ask a question, please make sure that you leave your email address, or that I can view it in your profile so I can respond :)

(note: I have disabled anonymous commenting due to the 20+ spam comments I have been receiving each day. Please email me at ourchangeofart@gmail.com if this is a problem for you- I wasn't sure how many people would be unable to comment if I did this)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...